The following 7 facts often surprise people about infidelity. So many people have been completely lied to and have no idea what really causes people to cheat.
- A happy marriage is not a vaccine against infidelity.
- The person having the affair may not be giving enough at home rather than not getting enough.
- It is normal to be attracted to another person, but fantasizing about what it would be like to be with an other person is a danger sign.
- Flirting is crossing the line because it is an invitation that indicates receptivity.
- Infidelity is not only about love or sex - it’s about maintaining appropriate boundaries with others and being open and honest in your committed relationship.
- You do not have to have sexual intercourse to be unfaithful. Passionate kissing or oral sex is a violation of your commitment to your partner.
- Emotional affairs are characterized by secrecy, emotional intimacy, and sexual chemistry. Emotional affairs can be more threatening than brief sexual flings.
Remember marriage counseling can help you avoid divorcing and help you rebuild your marriage.