Quiz: Has Your Friendship Become an Emotional Affair?
Directions: Circle Yes or No to the left of each statement.
1. Yes No Do you confide more to your friend than to your partner about how your day went?
2. Yes No Do you discuss negative feelings or intimate details about your marriage with your friend but not with your partner?
3. Yes No Are you open with your partner about the extent of your involvement with your friend?
4. Yes No Would you feel comfortable if your partner heard your conversation with your friend?
5. Yes No Would you feel comfortable if your partner saw a videotape of your meetings?
6. Yes No Are you aware of sexual tensions in this friendship?
7. Yes No Do you and your friend touch differently when you’re alone than in front of others?
8. Yes No Are you in love with your friend?
You get one point for each yes to questions 1, 2, 6, 7, 8 and one point each for no to 3, 4, 5.
If you scored near 0, this is just a friendship.
If you scored 3 or more, you may not be “just friends.”
If you scored 7-8, you are definitely involved in an emotional affair.
*This quiz was adapted from Shirley Glass’ book on affairs, “Not Just Friends.” 2003.